- Disabled access
- Things to Do
- Camping & Caravan Parks
- How to get here
- Book Online Accommodation
- Interactive route map of the line
- Which locos are running
- Legal Information
- Overseas Visitors
- Other Services
- Preservation Society
No. 1 'Talyllyn'
Originally built in 1864 by Fletcher, Jennings & Co. of Whitehaven as an 0-4-0ST, "Talyllyn" had a short wheelbase and long rear overhang which led to its rapid conversion to an 0-4-2ST. As the more popular of the line's two original locos "Talyllyn" was in very poor condition by 1945 when it was laid aside. It was rebuilt in 1957-58 by Gibbons Bros. Ltd. but proved problematic and has undergone considerable modification since then, resulting in a much improved performance. It is currently running in black livery.
|Maker||Fletcher, Jennings & Co.|
|Driving wheel diameter||2' 4"|
|Trailing wheel diameter||1' 9"|
|Coupled wheelbase||4' 0"|
|Total wheelbase||9' 0"|
|Cylinder size (bore/stroke)||8 5/8 x 16"|
|Heating surface||156 sq. ft.|
|Working pressure||160 psi|
|Tractive effort @ 85% BP||5780 lbs|
|Length over buffers||18' 1/2"|
More photographs of "Talyllyn" are available in the photo gallery.