- Disabled access
- Things to Do
- Camping & Caravan Parks
- How to get here
- Book Online Accommodation
- Interactive route map of the line
- Which locos are running
- Legal Information
- Overseas Visitors
- Other Services
- Preservation Society
Drive a Steam Train - Afternoon & Daylight Evening Experience
These unique experiences give the Guest Driver the opportunity to drive a coal-fired steam locomotive for one return trip on the Talyllyn Railway. They are instructed and supervised by one of our volunteer Drivers. They will be hauling a rake of passenger carriages, in which your friends and family can travel. Three passengers are included in the price; additional guests can be paid for separately. Refreshments are served for the Guest Driver, passengers and train crew to enjoy. The Guest Driver will become a member of the Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society from the date of their experience*. Members receive a quarterly colour magazine and free travel on timetabled trains.
The Afternoon Experience is available most months of the year on Green timetable days see timetable calendar. An extra charge applies to run in Orange service. The Daylight Evening Experience is available between April and September. Only one day/evening course is available on any one day and this is booked on a first-come, first-served basis.
Afternoon Experience £475,
Daylight Evening Experience £500,
Additional guests (3 are included in the above prices) £10 each.
Itinerary for the day
Occasionally we have to adjust these times to accommodate other trains, we will confirm this when you book.
Afternoon and Evening experiences start from Tywyn Wharf station.
Afternoon Experience: arrive by 14:40 for a 15:20 departure.
Evening Experience: arrive 16:15 for 17:00.
Evening Experience: arrive 17:30 for 18:15.
- You have the use a private train – accompanying guests can travel in whichever carriage they choose!
- The Guest Driver take the controls and under supervision drives the 7¼ miles to Nant Gwernol station taking around 60 minutes;
- Water is taken on at Dolgoch Station on the outward journey where the guest driver will assist with the operation;
- The loco is run round the carriages at Nant Gwernol by the instructing crew before the Guest Driver starts the return journey. The homeward journey takes around 60 minutes.
- At Abergynolwyn a half hour refreshment break is taken, a selection of sandwiches and cakes, and tea or coffee is provided. On afternoon experiences this takes place on the outward journey and on the homeward journey on evening experiences.
- The train arrives back at Tywyn Wharf where the experience finishes at approximately:
- Afternoon experience: 18:20.
- Evening: 19:30.
- Evening: 20:45.
The locomotive and carriage set will be one that has been used during the day for public service trains.
*Membership runs until the 31 January (or the following January for those who join after 1September). If other members of the party also wish to become members they can join at the appropriate rates, see membership form.