Carriages from Other Lines

Corris Railway Brake Van No. 6

In 1951 the railway obtained the remaining stock from the nearby Corris Railway, including this small brake van built in 1885 by Falcon Works in Loughborough. It was used for some years for luggage on passenger trains, but is nowadays relegated to engineering duties. A replacement body was constructed in 1958, the original being used as a shelter at Quarry Siding for some years.

Glyn Valley Tramway Carriages Nos. 14 & 15

These carriages were built for the Glyn Valley Tramway at Chirk (closed in 1935) by the Midland Railway Carriage and Wagon Co. Ltd. in 1892 and about 1901 respectively. No. 14 was a first-class vehicle and was obtained from Chirk vicarage in 1956; No. 15 was originally third class and was acquired from a farm near Glyn Ceiriog in 1958. Both were restored to first-class condition for which a supplementary fare is charged.

Corris Railway Carriage No. 17

Before entering TR service in 1961, this carriage had been used as a greenhouse and garden shed at Oswestry since the withdrawal of passenger services on the Corris Railway in 1930. The body is virtually a replica of the original (with two saloons with longitudinal seats flanking a central vestibule) and the carriage, with its all-round glazing, has proved very popular. On 25th November 1982 it carried HRH The Princess of Wales from Pendre to Rhydyronen, the Prince travelling on the footplate of “Dolgoch”.