“Dolgoch” was built in 1866 by Fletcher, Jennings & Co., but to a very different design to that of “Talyllyn”. It is an 0-4-0 tank engine with both a back tank (behind the cab) and a well tank (between the frames). The long wheelbase allows the firebox to sit in front of the rear axle, with Fletcher’s Patent inside valve gear driven off the front axle, a particularly inaccessible arrangement. In increasingly decrepit condition “Dolgoch” continued to operate the service single-handedly until 1952 when “Edward Thomas” became available and was then the subject of a prolonged overhaul between 1954 and 1963.
“Dolgoch” returned to service in late 1999 after a major overhaul involving firebox repairs and an extensive mechanical overhaul; as part of the overhaul it was fitted with air braking equipment, the last Talyllyn steam loco to be so fitted. After the fitting of a new boiler in 2011, it ran in Crimson Lake livery until 2015 when along with its sister locomotive “Talyllyn” it was repainted in ‘Indian Red’ livery which is thought to be a close approximation to the colour carried by these locomotives when delivered by Fletcher Jennings in the 1860s.
CURRENT STATUS: Operational
|Maker||Fletcher, Jennings & Co.|
|Type||0-4-0 back/well tank|
|Driving wheel diameter||2' 4"|
|Trailing wheel diameter||nil|
|Coupled wheelbase||6' 6"|
|Total wheelbase||6' 6"|
|Cylinder size (bore/stroke)||(bore/stroke) 7 5/8 x 16"|
|Heating surface||128 sq. ft.|
|Working pressure||150 psi|
|Tractive effort @ 85% BP||4236 lbs|
|Weight||10 1/4 tons|
|Length over buffers||17' 5"|