Built in 1878 by Hughes’ Loco & Tramway Eng. Works Ltd of Loughborough this 0-4-2ST (originally 0-4-0ST) worked on the nearby Corris Railway until the closure of that line in 1948. In 1951 it was purchased by the Talyllyn Railway (along with the other surviving Corris loco which became ‘Edward Thomas’) and was named after the line’s late owner, Sir Henry Haydn Jones. The precarious state of the track led to its being little used for the first few years, and firebox problems caused its withdrawal in 1957. It re-entered service in 1968.
In April 2012 the 10-year boiler certificate on ‘Sir Haydn’ came to an end. It is now therefore not in traffic while it undergoes an overhaul at the Vale of Rheidol Railway in Aberystwyth.
CURRENT STATUS: Undergoing 10-year Overhaul
|Maker||Hughes' Loco & Tramway Eng. Works Ltd.|
|Driving wheel diameter||2' 5 1/2"|
|Trailing wheel diameter||11"|
|Coupled wheelbase||4' 0"|
|Total wheelbase||8' 3 1/2"|
|Cylinder size (bore/stroke)||7 1/4 x 12"|
|Heating surface||153 sq. ft.|
|Working pressure||160 psi|
|Tractive effort @ 85% BP||2900 lbs|
|Weight||9 1/4 tons|
|Length over buffers||16' 6 1/2"|