Brown, Marshalls Carriages Nos. 1-3
Carriages 1, 2 and 3 (together with brake van 5) formed the original rolling stock supplied in 1866 and 1867. They were built by Brown, Marshalls & Co of Birmingham, and have been in continuous service for more than 150 years. No. 3 was the first to be delivered, and is 1 foot shorter than Nos. 1 and 2. All three are 3-compartment four-wheelers entirely open inside above the seat backs, except for No. 3 which has one compartment at the west end partitioned off.
Lancaster Carriage No. 4
No. 4 (known as “Lulu” to railway staff) followed in 1867 from the Lancaster Wagon Co. and was a rather cheaper and less robust 3-compartment four-wheeler. It has been considerably modified over the years, with the doors being extended upwards and a second, outer body skin added. Its wheels project above the floor where they are covered by small wheel arches.
Brown, Marshalls Brake Van No. 5
No. 5 was supplied in 1866 by Brown, Marshalls with sliding double doors on each side and a semi-open verandah at the east end. The original maker’s drawing survives in Birmingham Central Library. Around 1900 the verandah was closed in and small projecting lookouts added, a ticket window being provided in the north side ducket. A sliding hatch in the east end provides access to the handbrake handle, which is located outside the van body. The double doors and lookout on the south side have since been removed.