Talyllyn Tracksiders for Under 14s
Training and Development Programme for 14 and 15 year olds
Bookings are now open for the 2021 Training and Development Programme for prospective volunteers in the Traffic and Locomotive Departments, for those aged 14 or 15. Dates for 2021 have been set as follows:
- Sunday 11th and Monday 12th April
- Monday 31st May and Tuesday 1st June
- Thursday 12th and Friday 13th August
- Monday 23rd and Tuesday 24th August
- Thursday 28th and Friday 29th October
Following a difficult year in 2020, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we are organising a full practical programme at the railway for 2021 which has been risk assessed and will be run in a Covid-19 safe manner. As with previous sessions, I am sure you will all enjoy the fun and interactive activities, with some exciting new developments going forward.
We have now said goodbye to our second lot of graduates from the programme, with 14 people in total having joined the mainstream departments after the first two years of the programme. With the knowledge and experience gained from the programme, these people have been in a far better position and some of them have already been promoted to Assistant Guards and Cleaners, which is a testament to the success of programme.
If you have any questions about the programme or you would like to register for the sessions then please contact our Training Co-ordinator, Matthew Wear via email [email protected]
Talyllyn Navvies Ages 11-18
- tasks assigned by the Outdoor Foreman – recent activities involved dredging stones from a stream so the track wouldn’t flood (and ended with a race of plastic buckets), painting pipes and bushwhacking*
- cleaning engines and carriages (early start)*
- a trip up the railway to see what guarding a train involves*
- a visit to at least one of the following: Control Office, Booking Office and or Blockpost (Signalbox) to see how they are run*
- finding out about how the shops/cafes run (optional)
- finding out what the track gang do (optional)*
- a talk from the engineering workshop (optional)
- a day off!
* any lineside or operational duties are limited to those aged 16 or over Other activities, such as a campfire, walk, kayaking or trip to the cinema, take place according to what people want to do during the week and the weather.
What you need to bring:
- Sturdy shoes or walking boots
- Old clothes or overalls
- Lunch or money (there are two cafes on the railway, where working volunteers can get discounted food and drink)
- 1 adult per child under 16 (16 or over can volunteer alone with a completed parental consent form)
It is not essential to be a member of the TRPS, but if you do decide to become part of the TR family, you get free travel on the days you don’t work. We will provide:
- High visibility vests for track work
- Sturdy gloves (adult sizes only)
- Whatever training is needed as regards safe working on the railway.
No sessions are planned for 2020, but for future activities please contact [email protected] for more information.
Young Members Group Ages 14-25
If you’re a member aged 14-25, then you’re a part of the Talyllyn Railway’s Young Members Group (YMG). The YMG represents, supports and creates a fun environment for anyone interested or already volunteering on the railway. Everyone’s welcome at our activities; some of us have previously been Tracksiders or Navvies, while others have only discovered the Talyllyn when looking for somewhere fun to volunteer, learn new skills and make new friends. New people join us every year and you certainly don’t have to be a railway fanatic to get involved! Lots of young members come to volunteer during the school/university holidays. Many stay in the railway’s own Volunteer Hostel “Llechfan” (across the tracks at Tywyn Wharf station) where there is a very sociable atmosphere. The experience of living away from home with other people and volunteering in a variety of roles is valuable experience that looks great on CVs and UCAS forms and leads to lasting friendships.
Recent YMG activities include social events like barbecues and going to the cinema, days out to other railways and working parties like replacing lineside fences. To find out more information about the YMG, feel free to send us an email ([email protected]) and see what we’re up to by following us on Facebook and Instagram!