Operating & Facilities Manager
An opportunity has arisen to join The Talyllyn Railway as an Operating & Facilities Manager.
Reporting directly to The General Manager Operations this role will require a good knowledge of the Heritage Railway industry, operating procedures, policies and practices. Health and Safety will be a key element of this role along with good interpersonal skills, people and time management.
- Operating & Facilities Manager
- General Manager Operations
- Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the Railway.
- Efficiently manage operating staff.
- Manage Health and Safety for the whole Railway.
- Responsible for the day to day maintenance and fault rectification of all buildings.
- Ensure that adequate equipment and consumables are provided and maintained for the adequate function of each department.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of the Railway.
- To order and ensure the appropriate consumables i.e Coal, and other operational requirements with regular reporting of the stock held.
- Manage a maintenance assistant to include regular reviews and PPM.
- Responsibility for Health and Safety within the department as required by the Safety Management System.
- Investigating and reporting of Railway operating incidents and accidents with accurate and appropriate record keeping.
- Overall responsibility for rostering, timetabling and emergency planning with responsibility in conjunction with the Engineering Manager to create appropriate set and rolling stock formations dependent upon the timetable.
- To ensure that operating and weekly notices are produced, distributed and displayed.
- To manage the periodic review and instigate the issue and distribution of operating documentation, including the Rule Book, General Appendix, etc.
- The review and production of relevant Risk Assessments.
- To carry out regular inspections and arrange corrective actions of facilities.
- Responsible for security at all sites and the management of caretaker duties.
- To manage contractors requiring access to all sites, including refuse and hygiene service providers.
- Ensure current Fire risk assessments are available for all buildings and fire safety compliance.
- Management of First Aid equipment and training for all sites.
- Lift inspection and servicing with accurate record keeping.
- To undertake the necessary training to perform the role of the Duty Officer with a willingness to perform operational roles.
- To maintain effective cost control within the remit of the Operating Manager.
- To attend Company Board and Council, Committee and sub-Committee meetings as required.
- Any other duties as directed and as required commensurate with the post.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Excellent personnel management skills.
- A knowledge of current Railway practices and procedures is essential.
- Experience of working with volunteers would be beneficial but not essential.
- The ability to communicate in Welsh or willingness to learn is desirable.
To apply please enclose your CV and covering letter to [email protected].
The closing date for applications is 5th January 2024 unless we have sufficient applications to close the end date sooner. Interviews will be week commencing 15th January 2024.
Wage negotiable dependent upon experience.